Dr. Baxter’s Awards and Recognitions
- 2018: ICAP (International Tongue-Tie Organization) Award for Clinical Excellence
- 2018: Achieved Board Certification in Laser Surgery from the ABLS
- 2016: Healthcare Professional of the Year, Shelby County
- 2016: Small Business of the Year, Shelby County
- 2015: Achieved Board Certification in Pediatric Dentistry from the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
- 2013: Resident Recognition Award from the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) for innovative work in the field of community service
- 2012: Academy of Dental Materials Award for research in the field of dental materials
- 2012: AAPD Predoctoral Student Award for outstanding promise in the field of pediatric dentistry
- 2012: Leon M. Schneyer Award for highest scholastic achievement in the basic sciences
- 2012: Inducted into OKU National Dental Honor Society
- 2011: Awarded first place at the American Association of Dental Research DENTSPLY/Caulk Research Competition
Dr. Richard Baxter is a board-certified pediatric dentist and board-certified laser surgeon. He is a nationally recognized speaker on tongue-ties, and author of the Amazon.com Bestselling book Tongue-Tied: How a Tiny String Under the Tongue Impacts Nursing, Speech, Feeding, and More.
He lives in Birmingham, AL with his wife, Tara, their five-year-old old girls, Hannah and Noelle, and infant Molly.
He is the founder and owner of the Alabama Tongue-Tie Center. He had a tongue-tie himself, and all three of his girls were treated for tongue and lip-tie at birth, so for him, this field is a personal one.
In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family and outdoor activities. He serves as an elder at his church and is on the board of Reach the Rest, a global missions organization.
Dr. Baxter also participates in many overseas dental mission trips. He is currently working on several research and educational projects related to tongue-ties.
Our lactation consultant, Heidi Powell, is passionate about helping mothers and babies overcome obstacles in their breastfeeding journey.
Heidi is the founder of Central Alabama Lactation Services, which opened in 2018. She has been working with mothers and their breastfeeding babies for 19+ years. She previously worked as an RN in a level 3 Neonatal ICU for 8 years. She has been an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) since 2008. She is able to work with breastfeeding mothers (before and after their baby’s oral restrictions are released) to ensure that their babies are nourished, their milk supply is protected, and to manage pain and promote healing of their breasts.
She is also available to help with other issues with breastfeeding such as latch issues, supplementing at breast, mastitis, clogged ducts, slow weight gain, undersupply, oversupply, relactation, fussy babies, bottle refusal, pumping plans, and much more! Heidi is available to meet with you in our comfortable, private, and fully equipped individual consult rooms. A thorough history is taken prior to the consult, which ensures that all recommendations are given with your medical history, birth history, breastfeeding history, and lifestyle in mind.
Heidi lives in Birmingham, AL with her husband Jimmy and their four children: Harris (15), Elliott (13), Pete (10), and Erynn (7). Heidi breastfed all 4 children a combined total of over 6 years. Each presented their own unique challenges and solutions! In her free time, Heidi enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, and hanging out with her massive dog, Marty.
Our speech therapist Lauren is passionate about helping children improve their speech and feeding skills.
Lauren is the founder of Expressions Pediatric Therapy, which opened full time in 2018. She has completed Tethered Oral Tissues Specialty Training that involves evaluating and educating families on the impact of tongue and lip-ties on oral function. She obtained Level 1 training in TalkTools for oral motor development and has been trained in the Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol (K-SLP) to assist in the treatment of apraxia. In 2018, Lauren was trained in orofacial myology and recently began the process for certification. She also has a passion for working with picky eaters. As a lifelong picky eater herself, she wants to help children work through their issues with food before adulthood.
Lauren lives in Pelham with her two silly dogs. She has a healthy obsession with books and tea and enjoys spending time at local events around Birmingham. Lauren loves to travel, especially to anywhere that’s historically significant.